Island View Riding Stables. Co. Sligo
About The O’Connor Family & Our Riding Stables
The farm is run by 3 generations of the O’Connor family.
Our stables are situated in the scenic North West of Ireland overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and Donegal Bay on The Wild Atlantic Way. Originally from O Connors Island, the family settled in the present mainland homestead in the 1950s. In 1994 the horse breeding and riding stables were added to the cattle farm.
Today there are over 35 horses and ponies that enjoy a life close to nature in the vast fields between Benbulben Mountain and the sea. The nearest beach is only a few minutes ride from the stables.
You can enjoy a fresh canter, a leisurely stroll or a splash in the sea. We offer you the unique opportunity to explore our private island on horseback.
Island View is a small family farm that has grown into an equestrian centre with “old world charm”.
Bantam hens, runner ducks, rabbits and kittens roam the farm and provide hours of enchantment for our young visitors.
Meet Duchess the pug and Rossi the miniature stallion!
Island View Riding Stables
Our family-run horse farm in the West of Ireland specialises in beach rides in Sligo and Donegal Bay. Drop in for a refreshing horse-riding experience on your journey along the Wild Atlantic Way.
In line with government and AIRE guidelines, inter county travel is now permitted and we can now accept adult horse riders as well as children.
We ask riders/parents not to congregate. It is strictly come and ride. Parents can watch from their car or come back to pick up their child. Everybody, including children, will need to wear a face mask.
All clients need to observe respiratory hygiene and social distancing.
Riding slots for treks will be staggered and groups limited in size. Therefore we need to take advance payment for treks. You can book online or phone us and book with us directly with your credit card.
Please cancel if you experience symptoms of Covid, have been a close contact or asked to self isolate.
Please keep an eye on our Facebook page for updates.
- Our staff are trained in Covid prevention and we have a professional Covid response plan in place.
- Riding is by appointment only so you need to phone or email to book.
- To cut down on time spent in the small office space, please complete the Rider Registration Form below:
* For Minors riding only, complete the ‘Adults & Minors’ Form as an adult needs to sign
Face masks to be worn indoors at all times. This applies to children as well as adults.
- Every new rider will have to fill in the online Rider Registration Form.
- We have a streamlined one way system in place to facilitate social distancing.
- Most rides are prepaid, in the rare event that you still need to pay a certain outstanding amount, please have the correct amount of cash with you and pay on arrival.
- Trekking options range from a 30 minute lead rein trek for young children, a 1 hour beach ride or a 2 hour hack right up to a full day trail ride. Even beginners can enjoy a gentle stroll along the sea shore. Our price list and trekking booking form list all the various rides at a glance.
We offer a unique ride to our private island with the opportunity for a hearty gallop for experienced riders. Groups are welcome and can avail of discounted rates.
Individuals and families can spend a tailor-made beach riding holiday or Mix and Match short break here, where they can combine beach riding and lessons.
Our Atlantic Trailweek holiday takes you on an amazing equestrian adventure where you explore the rugged coastline and the wild countryside at the foot of Benbulben Mountain on horseback.
Accommodation ranges from self-catering or B&B to a hotel break.
Adults and children can learn to ride in our riding school with a choice of private instruction or group lessons.
All equestrian activities are supervised by experienced guides.
We also breed Irish Draught Horses, Irish Sport horses, Connemara ponies and Irish cobs and have a selection of well schooled horses and ponies for sale at the equestrian centre.
- Island View Riding Stables
Ireland. F91 N4T1.